Monday, March 21, 2016

My hair is finally done!: Pro's and Con's of stretching between interlocking/retwists



My weekend: I finally got my hair done!


I have not had my locs interlocked in a year and within that year I think I only retwisted my mane twice. I think I would probably considered a semi free former. Freeforming is basically the weeknd or Bob Marley, Gun Play.. All of those people are or were doing some type of freeforming. A lot of people don't know how my locs look up close and personal. I have a lot of them that are stuck together where 2-4 are combined.
 I hadnt really had the chance to see all of my new growth until recently because I usually just wash and pin it up into a bun or ponytail immediately. I am the queen of stretching retwists and interlock sessions and I want to give anybody who has locs some knowledge on the pro's and con's of stretching loc maintenance.




Pro's

  • Less money coming out of your pocket
  • More results; when I wait a few months to interlock, the growth/length results are way obvious.
  • You will have a different look, messy is cute too.


Con's


  • More damage; if you have thin locs from the get go you are likely to experience breakage from the weight of the loc pulling on the new growth, I've lost tons of locs in the past.
  • No one wants to do your hair. I have come across stylist who are scared to do my hair- it is a serious task!
  • The messy look gets tiring after a while,
  • Requires more hair products (in my case: I use gel when far between retwists or interlocks) my edges must be laid.
  • There may be a bigger payout depending on the length of your new growth.
  • Will take tons of time to get your hair done.

So lets do the math. I would be paying $100-$150 every 6-8 weeks if I got my hair done regularly.

This time I paid $100 to have my hair interlocked in march 2015.. I paid $200 to have it interlocked in march 2016. & in between I retwisted my locs on my own. It's all about preference. I prefer to have my hair done every 2 months and this year I will make the effort to do so. In my opinion there are many more cons than pros. Other stretchers may feel differently and that is fine.


2 comments :

  1. These are beautiful! Very inspirational and makes want to consider trying these. #BLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks so cool. I've had a perm since I was a weeeee tot and I don't know a thing about natural hair. My mom was a beautician so long smooth hair was an absolute must growing up. I've been seriously considering going natural but I'm afraid I won't like it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say.
xoxo