Wednesday, March 25, 2015

For the moms out there..I'm done nursingdone nursing

Wednesday, 3/25/15

I really don't feel like talking about this..
I don't think it'd be right to not talk about it,

After 23 months I finally found the nerve to stop nursing my baby.
I've tried, long ago to stop nursing but I was always better off nursing.. I could not deal with the tantrum that "No boobie" meant.


This is how I went about it:
She is such a big girl now. I felt that nursing was holding her back into this baby stage.
So I made a plan: I cut back on nursing over the course of 2 weeks. Some days I nursed more than others, but by the last week she was nursing once a day.Then eventually I said
   "Today you're not nursing at all. No more. Ever."
 It felt so final and I hated it! Knowing in my head that I'll never nurse my little angel again was sad for me because it's such a bonding experience. The key is to say "No" and show the toddler you mean it. Eventually it will get easier as you develop new ways to bond and comfort them.


I quickly realized I made the right decision:

  • By the 2nd night she was falling asleep by herself. Normally she has to have the boob to fall asleep, now (night 10) she has learned to comfort herself and she falls asleep really fast.
  • She has been sleeping through the night. She used to wake up for a late night snack or in the early morning to nurse back to sleep. We're getting more sleep ova here honey!
  • Less distraction. She's not asking for it at awkward moments (While at the playground).

She still asks for it once a day but she quickly understands when I say "no"
The downfall for me is that I have felt a tad depressed on and off, and that is most likely due to hormonal changes. Overall, I thank GOD for a relatively easy nursing experience. I've never had anything like clogged ducts, no nipple pain-ever. It's just been a smooth ride. I'm grateful because I was able to do this for my child for 2 years. Now, on to the new chapter of toddlerhood.



Tell me your nursing/weaning experience if you have one.
If you have any questions about weaning a toddler just leave them in the comments or email me!


7 comments :

  1. I love this post! Good for you for nursing for so long. I'm not a mom, so i have no clue how difficult it was for you to stop, but it sounds like you knew exactly when the right moment was. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you posted this because I been having issues with weaning my 14 month off me but I love the connection and I feel like I am going to miss that bond. His father thinks I need to start now but I don't feel like he ready, let alone that I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey! If you love the bond and you aren't bothered by it I think you should keep nursing him. You both don't seem ready to stop. Don't let his father be the dictator of that because we both know it's a really deep thing that's kind of hard to just stop for some people. I wish I would've stopped nursing earlier but then again I don't because those were the cutest moments!

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome you nursed her so long! She's going to be super duper smart and healthy!! I was never successful with nursing my babies. I just didn't make milk. Oh, well. They're still very very healthy babies! But I'm actually kind of relieved I didn't have to nurse because I don't think I could have handled searching for a bra bigger than an N cup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! So bittersweet when they get to another stage! I'm glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, I nursed my little one for 11 months and wished she nursed longer. :( It was sad when she no longer asked for the "boob" but at the time she was in daycare full time so I was working and only nursing at night so she became more independent seeing as though she went all day without it. But I applaud you for sticking through it and finally coming to terms with getting her to understand no. I pray my next child I'm able to nurse at least past one, the bonding is the most amazing part of it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww 11 months is a really big accomplishment! I'm hoping my next child's weaning process happens more like yours did!

      Delete

I love reading what you have to say.
xoxo