Monday, October 27, 2014

Artist Feature: Farrah, owner of A Rebel Eye Art


I'm starting a new series here on the blog. Every now and then I'll be featuring inspirational people who really bring black culture to the forefront. I love black history and our culture and I want to do something positive in order to spread it for the world to see. We have talented, passionate people out there that deserve to be known. 

  So, for the very first feature I chose to interview an artist, Farrah. She is the owner of A Rebel Eye Art whom I found when I was just scrolling through instagram. Her work immediately spoke to me. I love her portraits most of all, in general I feel that as a black person I can relate to her work. I want to thank her for participating and being such a nice person to work with!



  • Tell me a little about yourself.   I am a self-taught artist whose artistic journey began as a child based in Michigan roots.  During summer drives to Michigan, my mother would stop in states along the way and expose my brothers and sisters and I to different things culturally and historically; from slave cemeteries to art museums, these experiences had a profound effect on me.  It was in this that my world opened up and I realized that there was much more that I could attain and create for myself.  I’m currently a mother, wife, all of that, while simultaneously attempting to pursue and conquer my artistic dream of being an operating, functioning art business.   I’ve been practicing art primarily by myself seriously for six years now.


  • What piece of art are you most proud of?    The piece of art I’m most proud of is my piece, entitled “Oldie”.  It’s the best example of intricacy and material working seamlessly together.  I drew this picture with just a pastel on fabric.  I imagined the fabric to be different and approached it with nerves.  But when I was able to let that go and just draw.  What came of it pleased me.  I didn’t think the outcome would be what it was.


image.jpeg


  •  What's your favorite art work that is not your own?   That’s a hard question! I’m constantly looking at art, so my rolodex is filled with images.  I would honestly have to say though, I visited an exhibit of African artist’s work at a museum here in Houston, the show was based around the concept of love (PROGRESS OF LOVE).  This photo, entitled, “Queen Amina” by Kelechi Amadi Obi struck me.  It’s something about her being in focus amidst the blur that is very powerful to me.  It emphasizes her place in history as the warrior queen of Zaria.  It literally takes me into the possibility of her world.


image.jpeg

  •  Where can we find more about you and/ or your artwork.  I currently have a website,www.arebeleyeart.com that features my work and in the future, the works of other black artists. It’s destined to be the source for young art collectors to acquire they’re first real piece of art.

  • Describe your style of art.    My style is constantly evolving.  Each time I approach a work, I’m thinking of how to best strike the eye of a person viewing.  I’ve found that portraiture is my best subject matter, which I don’t mind.  I love the face and its quiet power.  Most people glance at portrait and like the overall achievement of making a portrait look like a person.  But glancing at a portrait deeper prompts your brain to create a story about the subject.  My portraiture is not exact for this very reason, I like to create unfinished portraits, so the viewer has no choice but to look deeper and question what they’re seeing.In addition to this, I also create other works, which typically have to do with black culture and subjects.


  •  If you could work with any artist of the past or present, who would it be? I guess I will give the obligatory, Jean-Michel, of course.  But presently, I’m digging the work of Hebru Brantley.  His work is absolutely beautiful and I would love an opportunity to throw my element into it.


  •  If you weren't doing art, what would you be doing? If I’d never been awakening to life, I’d be living a normal existence where my intellect and creativity were unchallenged…basically I’d be bored as hell. I absolutely had no plans outside of art, but to be a “worker”.  I’m still a worker to some extent, but I am slowly checking out each day that I explore my inherent artistic nature.


  • What's your inspiration for your artwork?  My inspiration is the absence of expression of black culture from a different visual context.  I’m inspired to step out of the “box” black art has fallen into and create something “different” visually people can still identify with. 






If you're interested in learning more about Farrah and her work or maybe you want one of her pieces for yourself, visit her website: A Rebel Eye Art.
Follow her on Instagram @ARebelEyeArt

2 comments :

  1. great interview! Too bad the pics in between wouldn't load though. I'll just head on over to her site to check things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG girl you know I'm a sucker for art! I love her work! I just peeped her site. I think i'm going to buy some when i get my own spot. Do you know if she does custom pieces? Because I'd love to have a portrait or abstract piece with a certain color scheme :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say.
xoxo