Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Let her hair be wild and carefree

Ever since my baby was 7 months old, people have been pressing me about how I do (or don't do) her hair. At such a very young age I did not see the point of putting 20 barrettes and rubber bands in my child's thick head of hair. I know if it is uncomfortable for me, then it must be uncomfortable for a baby to have to deal with tight braids and ponytails.




Now that she is 1 years old I try to make an effort to do her hair when we are going out of the house. 2 pig tails, big twists in the front with a bow to pin her curls out of her face. Majority of the time her hair is in an afro and I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, yet I can't step out of the door with out some older person making slick comments about how she looks like a boy. Or how she's a girl and should have a thousand and one ponytails on her head at once. I think that I am going to snap on one of these people eventually.

I can actually kind of see why Beyonce never really seemed to do Blue Ivy's hair. Everyone sounded off about how the little girl's hair was unkempt and wild... Which it was (& probably still is) but what's the big deal? It's a freakin baby for Gods sake! My child won't even allow me to do her hair unless she's distracted by candy. That is why I totally understand when I see a baby with wild hair, there is nothing wrong with it because this is the hair that we were born with and there is no way in hell that I am going to hold my child down to the bed every single day just so she looks presentable in the public's eyes.

Honestly I think it's a problem with older people. Those are the only people that seem to have a problem with my daughters hair not being styled every single day. I don't even style my own hair everyday! Anyway, I feel a lot better after writing this. I feel like I am indeed doing the write thing with my child, it just sucks because people always have so much input on every little thing that I chose to do with my child. From hair to breastfeeding to the types of clothes she wears.



Miya

6 comments :

  1. I agree! Babies don't need all that crap in their hair. Her hair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks absolutely adorable. I don't know why people feel like they are entitled to butting in on your decisions as a person and a parent. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the free and natural look and I think your baby is just too dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baby does NOT look like a boy and I applaud your decision to not subject your child to this insane notion of manipulating a persons natural hair texture to something different. She is a baby/child. She has plenty of time in the future to style her hair HER way. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all of the manipulation and ponytails (and weave in some cases) is a bit much. When my daughter was younger, I wasn't one to do all the ponytails. I loved her loose curls and even now, I'd prefer to have her curls loose or it in a bun. I think she does too. Bottom line: comb your child's hair how you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's absolutely adorable with her little hair. It doesn't look all over her head it looks baby chic! I have a biracial nephew and people say the say things to this mom! I say ignore them all and do whatever you think is right for her! found via mommy moments

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say.
xoxo