Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Elegant fashion of the past



I'm definitely hating on how fly women were back in the day.
It all started when me and my husband sat
down and watched that classic romance movie we all love, "The Notebook". 
 After I wiped the tears out of my eyes [that movie always makes me weak!] I started to think,
 "Damn, This girl is dressed to impress and she looks so elegant and feminine!"





 I spent a few hours here and there perusing through different websites finding out about all of the different undergarments all of our grandma's or great-great grandma's wore and the ones that I hardly wear. I realized a lot of these women dressed elegantly because that was just the style.

1930s-Corsetry-for-Christmas---Sears I mean, not only were they dressed in a DRESS pretty much everyday, but they had the right undergarments! tights or stockings, garters, slips to go under the dresses, girtles. I'm pretty sure some women still rock these undergarments from time to time... but most of us (especially young women) don't go through all of the extra stuff. We throw on our ripped jeans and t-shirt and we head on to walmart.




 I'm not trying to say that we don't care about what we look like now. I just think that a larger amount of women, for the most part took more pride in looking elegant and if they were leaving the house they were going to put on a casual dress and look elegant because that was the style.



I find it fabulous how elegant and feminine the women of yesterday were... what's more feminine then a dress for God's sake! - nothing!  This change was bound to happen. Back then people were modest, now we have booty shorts and crop tops [which I definitely adore in the right place and time] 


This find made me realize that I really want to strive to wear more classic clothing. I want to be more of an image of what we used to be...& I hate to say that because obviously so many women look extremely beautiful and classy today. But, I think I'd like to wear more dresses and skirts, put more effort into looking like a classic woman.

>> shopping goal
So my next shopping goal is to buy more classic clothing. Don't get this confused with vintage clothing. Although I love a good vintage piece here and there, I am not trying to make a wardrobe out of vintage apparel. By classic I mean pieces that never go out of style. I need to steer clear of trends.

[For more on Classic Vs Vintage, visit The Glamorous Housewife Blog. She definitely helped me explain this classic/vintage difference and her blog is cool too.]

.

3 comments :

  1. I agree with you. I adore the feminine, classy look and I fall far from it 5 days a week. Being a sahm, sweatpants and leggings with a over-sized sweater or tee is my go-to. I have a lot of dresses and skirts, I just don't wear them often... Great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 1940s fitted dresses were poppin!! They are so cute. I look forward to seeing how you style everything. As time progresses comfort is put above style unless you have mad money to look fashionably comfortable. I wonder what future styles will be because you already know every year we borrow fads from past decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of have the same goal as you as wardrobe goes, I would like it to be more classic/feminine but also functionable. Unfortunately my current job is kind of manual so sneakers and jeans make the most sense. We have WW2 to blame for the decline in our clothes! The US was short on materials so designers started making everything more simple. I do like that we have options though! I will take the mix of the sweatpant clad with the glamourous over the past any day.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say.
xoxo