Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Truth: Extended breastfeeding



We are on our 16th month strong with this nursing thing.. I can't believe I'm the same girl who didn't think I could make it past 6 months. Click here to read one of my first posts about nursing if you want to catch up on our journey


The thing is: i'm ready to stop.. I've been ready to stop like 4 months ago. My problem is that she's not ready to stop. Although the idea of her self weaning by 18 months of age sounds amazing, the odds of this occuring are slim to none.

I love her soo much and I want to give her what she wants:
  •  It's good for her.
  •  It's the ultimate comfort for her.
  • It puts her to sleep really fast (this last one is for my sanity)
  •  I actually appreciate the bond between us when I nurse. 


I just get so irritated when she wakes up in the middle of the night and expects a boob. I can't deal with it. Some nights I pat her on the back and refuse to give her the breast for 10minutes to an hour at a time. She needs to get used to being with out it and falling to sleep on her own. She has no problem going to sleep without the breast when she is at my moms house or home alone with her daddy. I'm the problem!

I'm not going to force her to stop in an aggressive way (if that makes any sense at all). I can't stand to hear crying and screaming and she definitely knows where my boobs are so she will climb up on me and wrestle me for the boob.


THE TRUTH ABOUT BOOBS....

my breast are still big, but in a normal way. I'm probably a 34DD or 34DDD Which is a great big difference between a 32H. They feel a lot less full. I think I will love my body a lot more when my boobs are back to the original size (32/34 D) .
As for leaking? No leaking- Ever.. That hasnt happened in over 10 months. My milk does not let down if I hear crying.No more nipple pads ladies.




THE BOTTOMLINE....

 I've been through it all now except for how to actually stop nursing , so if you girls have any advice on how to stop in the easiest way, comment down below ! If you have any questions about nursing comment down below!




3 comments :

  1. Awww man I wish I nursed until 16 months, my daughter was about 11 months to a year old when she decided she did not need my boob anymore. To be honest I was a little crushed lol but I was working and she was at daycare so the only time she really got it was at night and then when the teeth really came in she took the wrong kind of nibble on me and I was done too but sometimes I do miss that bond we had when it came to nursing.

    The only thing I can suggest is to kind of make her go without it for longer periods of the day and try to make it just night time when she gets it and eventually she'll see that she does not need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol its funny you don't want to stop in an aggressive way but she is aggressive to you if you don't supply the goods. If you already stopped giving it to her so much what would be the next step if not stopping all together? Hopefully she does self wean soon for both of your sanity lmao :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm two weeks in with my 2nd child and I've already tapped out and switched to formula. With a mischievous 1 year old and working from home all alone all day I just couldn't figure out how to make breast feeding work in my situation. I really admire women who can keep it up for so long.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say.
xoxo